STAAR Test Prep with Tutor Doctor Lakeway
If you are new to Texas, you may not have heard of the STAAR test. The State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, commonly referred to as it acronym STAAR (/sto.r/star), are a series of standardized tests used in Texas public primary and secondary schools to assess a student’s achievements and knowledge learned in the grade level. Instead of using the Common Core Texas uses the STAAR. The questions for the STAAR tests are created based off the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). The TEKS are the required Curriculum that is taught in the schools.
The STAAR test is given to grades 3rd – 8th for reading and math, grades 4th & 7th for writing, grades 5th & 8th grade for science, and grade 8 social studies. The 5th and 8th grade tests are used to determine if the student can move onto the next grade level. Students who fail the 5th or 8th grade STAAR will get 2 retake opportunities during the summer. In High School the STAAR is the end of Course (EOC) for English I/II, Algebra I, Biology, and US History. All STAAR tests in high school are used to see if the student can move onto the next level.
The STAAR test is taken very seriously at all the public schools and the schools will be on lockdown during the testing dates. No visitors are allowed and the schools during those dates.
The dates for 2021 STAAR tests are below:
- PAPER TESTING DATES
- Grade 3: Math May 11th, Reading May 12th
- Grade 4: Math May 11th, Reading May 12th , Writing April 6th
- Grade 5: Math May 11th, Reading May 12th
- Grade 6: Math May 11th, Reading May 12th
- Grade 7: Math May 11th, and Reading May 12th , Writing April 6th
- Grade 8: Math May 11th, and Reading May 12th
- Online Testing Window for 3rd through 8th grade Reading and Math: May 11th-June11th
- English I: June 22nd for paper and online tests
- English II: June 24th for paper and online tests
- All make-up sessions for paper tests for grades 3rd-8th will be administered May 6th-13th.
- ONLINE TESTING WINDOWS
- Grades 3rd- 8th : Math & Reading May 11th- June 11th
- 4th Writing: April 13th
- 7th Writing: April 20th
Visit the TEA at https://tea.texas.gov/for more information
Tutor Doctor Lakeway is offering 2 online courses for STAAR Test Prep, Math and English Language Arts. All courses start with a research-based diagnostic assessment followed by a customized learning plan based on that assessment. The courses employ a solid approach that mirrors how a teacher would teach a student.
What to Expect:
- Each student's Zone of Proximal Development is accurately determined in math and reading.
- Explicit, interactive, musical game-based intervention lessons guarantee students can access the concepts they need to learn, thus ensuring equity.
- Guaranteed results when used as recommended during any summer session.
To understand the diagnostic assessment more in depth please read this document.
The diagnostic assessment is graded against the TEKS and can pinpoint which concepts the student needs to focus on. An example of results of an assessment can be found here: Standards Report.
The STAAR Math course is good for students in grades K-8. The English course is good for students K-12. Students can take the courses online through a web explorer or on a mobile device using the App.
Learn more about the courses here:
|STARR Math Test Prep||$250.00|
|STARR English Test Prep||$250.00|
*Registration fee is charged 1 time per household.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are the TEKS and what is STAAR?
- TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills) are the skills Texas has decided to ensure every student masters before going onto the next grade level. Texas uses these skills in place of the common core.
- The STAAR (State of Texas Academic Assessment and Readiness) is the actual test that ensures students know the TEKS.
- Can I get the course on my mobile device?
- Yes, here are 4 documents to help you:
- LGL FAQ's Page
- Mobile Device Best Practices
- Mobile Device Platforms
- Mobile Device Support
- Mobile Device Trouble Shooting
- Having Issues?
- What is the ELA Edge?
- What is the Math Edge?
- See more of our helpful pages below: