As you prepare for college, you are faced with certain tests that can help with your college applications. The ACT and SAT® tests are ones you hear about quite often with their scores often determine whether or not you will be admitted to a university. It is important to know which one is right for you and how to determine the best route for yourself. The format and scoring of the SAT was recently changed in March of 2016 to reflect changes in education curriculum throughout the United States. The format of the new SAT® is more similar to the ACT format, but it still has a few differences students should consider.
Here are some things to consider when choosing to take the new SAT® or ACT tests:
- Do you like science? The new SAT® does not have a section testing your ability in science while the ACT includes this subject. This is perhaps the biggest difference between the new SAT® and ACT. If you have a strong knowledge in science, the ACT may be the way to go for you. However, if you tend to struggle with science, you may want to stick with the new SAT®.
- Do you like fast paced tests? The way the new SAT® is formatted allows students to dedicate more of the testing time to less questions. This is great for students who take their time when taking tests and students who like to go back and check their work. The ACT is a bit more time intensive and doesn’t really accommodate students who spend a lot of time on their work.
- Which do you feel would allow you to best succeed? At the end of the day, your confidence level can help determine your success. Do the research on each test and make a determination on which would be the best for you and gives you the highest chance of succeeding and being accepted into a college.
Today, most of the nation’s colleges put the new SAT® and ACT on the same level, a change from before when certain schools in various geographic areas considered one to be more important the other. Making sure you are ready is of the utmost importance.
If you need help preparing for the new SAT® or ACT, we encourage you to call our team at Tutor Doctor of Tulsa. We offer a diagnostic to help your student determine what test might be better for them. We are offering small group ACT classes to help prepare students for both the October and December ACT tests this year.
For the ACT test on Saturday, October 22, 2016, we have classes on:
- Thursday, October 20th 8:00-noon
- Friday, October 21st 8:00-noon
For the ACT test on Saturday, December 10, 2016 , we have classes on:
- Monday, November 28th 5:00-7:00 pm
- Thursday, December 1st 5:00-7:00 pm
- Monday, December 5th 5:00-7:00 pm
- Thursday, December 8th 5:00-7:00 pm
Call us today to learn more about our ACT and SAT® services.