Tutor Doctor Hartford East's Local Partnerships
The Brain Institute of America in partnership with Tutor Doctor Hartford East:
Tutor Doctor is teaming up with The Brain Institute of America and OpenWorm to offer STEM Summer Bootcamp for middle and high school students in Connecticut! We welcome students of all backgrounds and abilities. This summer we will be offering biology courses about animals, plants, and the environment:
- Bioluminescence: From land to the deep sea, some organisms have evolved the mesmerizing ability to create their own light. But how and why do they do it? Join this course to find out!
- Genetics: More information to come!
- Ocean Extremes: This course will begin with an introduction to the rocky intertidal—an extreme ocean environment. Then, we will explore the effects of climate change on the ocean using a case study of west coast crabs
- OpenWorm: Join our Stem Summer Bootcamp OpenWorm course, an introduction to the world's first digital organism - a lowly ringworm, C. elegans en silica!
- Plant biochemistry: Learn about plant growth and photosynthesis and then conduct your own germination experiment
- Plant diversity: An introduction to the different types of plants and their life cycles followed by an exploration of the plant diversity in your own neighborhood
- RNA Vision: A molecular biology focused course with some opportunities to learn mammalian cell culture. The course is designed as a primer for high school students interested in the biological sciences prior to their entry into an undergraduate program, or to undergraduates that want additional experience with molecular or RNA biochemistry concepts prior to their entry into a respective graduate program.
Each course includes four engaging lecture sessions and a fun take home activity. Pricing and registration information can be found here.